Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Nancy's Back, for a while and reading some graphic novels

So Nancy is back and it was fun to spend some time with my friend. We decided to go see "Earth, Fire, Fiber" the museum juried exhibit. The pictures were taken on a previous visit last month. We ended up having lunch afterwards at Muse. It's good to have Nancy back.
Well in the last month I have gone through a lot of Graphic Novels. Since about two years ago I have renewed a big interest in this genre. Those can be really serious pieces of literature where the drawing accentuate the flavors and moods of the stories. I even tried out the "Manga" style of Japanese graphic novel with the "Emma" series by Kaoru Mori. You even have to start the book from the back and work your way to the front, reading first top right section moving to the left and down and then left top page etc... I bit of extra challenge. To add to the twist "Emma" is the story of a maid in the Victorian times in England. Lovely drawings with so many elegant details. There was "Castle Waiting" by Linda Medley, a retold story of Sleeping Beauty. Very elaborate drawings of the landscape and castles in very small frame (How does she do it?). I loved that story where there was a group of "Bearded Nuns", a man with a horse head, and many more funny characters. The story is going on and on but I will have to wait for the multi episodes continuous volume to be published.
I read "French Milk" by Lucy Knisley; finally!!!! So many good reviews about it made me want to read that a long time ago. I loved it. Of course a mother and daughter going for a holiday in Paris. I could I not love that story. Then there was a sad one about a family with a very talented but abusive father that through himself in front of a truck when the narrator (daughter) was a teenager: "Fun House" by Alison Bechdel. I am still working on that one. A bit more "graphic" with that one with some nude and sexual scenes... Yeah well those are not for the young comic book readers.
So I am having fun with those. The library in Eagle River has a good selection and I am taking full advantage of it.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Thanks, Roxane! It is good to be back, and I had so much fun yesterday.

Anonymous said...

So happy to see you Roxane. Thanks for the wonderful pictures of the exhibit. We will conquer the Skype problems.
Linda