Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Housekeeper and the Professor

Just finished on the plane the little book "The Housekeeper and the Professor" by Yoko Ogawa. What a tender little book about three generations coming together into a beautiful equation. Many good information about prime numbers, relationship between caring people and baseball in Japan. Stir that up and you have a story that just cradles your heart. Those characters become real even if not everything makes sense: the professor looses his short term memory every 80 minutes. There is a lot of respect between the characters that is a lesson for today's selfish and greedy World. I don't want to give away any of the essence of this book so I will stay vague. Just read it, it will be worth the few hours. It didn't make me cry, it made me smile gently.
On another note I am back for my final days in Alaska. Tomorrow the packers are coming early and I am going to be busy for few days trying to make sense of 15 years in this strange and beautiful environment. We still don't know what our future location is going to be. I did fall in love with a beautiful home but without our home selling it is challenging to fall in love. Anyway I am confident that life in Tacoma is waiting for us in a good way. I took a long walk with Gaia at the Point Defiance Park, the sun was out, the smell of the salty water, the beautiful quotes embedded in the walkway, the light filtered through the trees, all this in one moment can make up for all the stress accumulated over the last year. So I am regaining faith in what will happen is meant to happen and I will start relaxing and let go of the fear. In the meantime I better get going...

No comments: