Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Day of Shibori Dragon

Well shopping is not something that I do very often anymore especially when it comes to fabric, quilt stores, I will avoid it at all cost. So, of course as in everything there are exceptions. One of those started to happen on Saturday when I went to the TARTS meeting (Fiber Art Group) and a nice innocent well intended person handed it out coupons for a "blue" sale, happening at the Shibori Dragon in Lakewood. I was doomed to go and have a look.


It is the Year of the Fire Dragon, which will not come around again in my lifetime and I had yet to celebrate the Chinese New Year so I saw this as a sign, wouldn't you have? I waited for Monday to make my move to really let the anticipation built or to forget about it (but not this time...) So Monday, around noon, I was ready to face the wind, the rain and the sale!!!
The GPS didn't stall, the roads didn't flood, the wind didn't blow me away from my destination. Those were other auspicious signs that I was meant to be shopping!!! Nice parking up front made it easy for me to run into the store without getting wet. The store was inviting and not your typical quilt store, with a definite oriental theme to it. The owner's collection of Chinese statues (many are Dragons) are in cases and shelves throughout the store and give the place a most exotic feel. It is a well appointed store with everything you need. It has beads to create jewelry, yarn to create from sweaters to socks to felted purse, thread for embroidery, fabric, remnants,
hand painted paper, oregami papers, paint, dyes, patterns for clothes, purses, quilts, dolls, pillows...

Extensive notion, books, kits, intriguing objects, raw wool.    All this is arrange in an harmonious way so you can meander and flow around the rooms without feeling rushed. So I took my time. Then I got a basket and then I filled my basket. After that it was all over for me, an out of control moment that found me a bit guilty but so happy later that it was all worth it. Two books (a Noni book of purse pattern and "Wild Tea Cosies"), hand painted paper for journal making, vintage silk kimono pieces, Japanese indigo printed fabric, a green scarab bead, a piece of gold silk, knitting gadgets, 3 spools of King Tut's variegated cotton from Superior Threads. I feel like a glutton after an eating frenzy, I can't move, a stupid smile is permanently etched on my face, a comatose state half aware of my surroundings. I am in a state of torpor and loving it!
So that is it! My binging is over for now and I shall regain control of myself for a while. It is Mardi Gras and Monday was definitely more Fat than today. I can now abstain and be frugal for a while.... Yes I can, I promise. Now to create in my mind with all those beautiful things.... My addiction should be recommended as the most healthy cure to all subjects afflicted by winter boredom and winter blues. Now, time to work!!!

No comments: